We know that choosing the right photo session outfits for your family can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. With online shopping available at your fingertips, and us only an email away, we’re always ready and willing to help our clients finalize their looks for session day.
Although you and your happy smiling faces are the most important thing to bring to a session, there’s no denying that when you look good, you feel good too. So here are some of our tried and true guidelines for dressing for success and choosing the right photo session outfits for you and your family!
- Start by choosing a couple complementary colors that match the season, location, or vibe you’re going for, and then add in varying shades and patterns so that everyone looks cohesive but different.
- Mix in multiple patterns like paisley, stripes, polka dots, floral, or plaid, especially if you have a group of four or more. Be careful not to overdo it with everyone in a completely different and bold pattern, but incorporating some bolder patterns with some subtle ones is a great way to add visual interest to your photos.
- Incorporate different textures like lace, linen, cotton, and knit. This also adds visual interest and dimension to your outfits.
- Wear layers like cardigans or vests. These can be easily added or removed depending on the weather, and they can also easily switch up your look without taking any time for an outfit change.
- Accessorize with jewelry, scarves and/or tall boots. Not only will this spark up your outfit a bit, but it’s also a good opportunity to add something sentimental like a birthstone necklace or a breast milk ring to your photos.
- Don’t wear clothes that you can’t bend, sit, squat, or run in. We get you moving a lot during your session, and you don’t want your movements to be limited by your outfit.
- Don’t wear shoes that you can’t easily walk or jog in. Again, because of our playful shooting style, you’ll want to have full range of movement during your session. This also includes heels that could get stuck in the grass!
- Don’t wear neon colors. Although we love and encourage colorful outfits, colors that are too loud, vibrant, and bright can cast unwanted color onto your faces.
- Don’t wear shirts with writing on them. Because shirts don’t always lay flat against your body, words can get skewed, making them hard (or impossible) to read.
- Don’t overthink it – you still want to look like yourselves! Your photo session outfits should still represent you and your style, just in a way that coordinates with the rest of your family too.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Get to know the Luce Photography twin-sister team! We send out quarterly newsletters where we announce upcoming mini sessions, offer first access to discounts, and share valuable tips and tricks of the trade. Stay up to date with what we have planned for the year!